Friday 24 January 2014

Hitting Thirty, Birthday Blazer and Getting The Chop!

I mentioned in my last post that it was my birthday this week. It was a bit of a depressing birthday, I am now no longer in my twenties. Sob! Does anyone feel great at hitting thirty though?

As part of my new 30 something mummy persona I've had my hair chopped.  I have a bit of a fear of getting my hair cut short after a bad experience when I was 13. I went to a hairdresser with a picture of a short, funky crop thinking I'd be only gorgeous only to have my hair completely butchered. It was so bad, at school the next day, the class smartarse asked in front of everyone if the hairdresser had decided they didn't like me anymore and walked off before they could finish cutting my hair. Hilarious. It took years (I'm not joking) to grow back and look remotely decent again. I also had a pob (yes, a posh spice bob) done about 6 years ago and it just made me look like Moonface from Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree books (link here if you somehow bypassed this during your childhood). So all in all, getting the chop has not worked out well for me in the past.

However, recently, my hair had just gone out of control. It took ages to dry and straighten, was constantly getting in giant knots and had become J's favourite plaything. A 7 month old is surpisingly strong, and vicious. Anyway, I went into the hairdresser optimistically armed with a picture of Heidi Klum. Luckily, this time, hair disaster was avoided and I love the new cut. It's already proved so much easier to manage and style and I feel ten times better when I look in the mirror. I know now why lots of women get short haircuts after having a baby, it's a combination of having less time to look after yourself and also of wanting less hair to tempt vicious babies to pull or to get covered in petit filous.

Obviously, another great thing about birthdays is the presents. I got some birthday money and vouchers and have been having some fun hitting the (virtual) shops. My favourite purchase so far, is this jersey blazer from Mango for €49.99.



I have a black jersey blazer from Penneys that I've been wearing to death so when I came across this I knew I'd get a lot of wear out of it. It appears that now that I'm thirty I'm making sensible purchases! I bought a medium as the small was a little bit tight around the button and it looks a bit more casual worn a bit bigger. If it's too fitted I think you can end up looking like you're going into the office.


So, short hair and blazer are on display here. Worn with Topshops Baxter skinny jeans and a pink paisley print scarf. I wore this walking around a very grey and wet Dublin today and I was definitely warm enough. There was no need for another coat or jacket which for January, is pretty impressive.


4 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Your hair is lovely. My youngest, now almost 11 was 5 months old when I turned 30. I was so busy at that time with a 2 year old and I was back at work 4 days a week. I found my 30s to be very full on but incredibly rewarding. I think I found who I really am. I turned 40 in October and loved it. Good luck in your new decade. Love Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for the lovely comment. That has actually made me feel a lot better about hitting my thirties!

      Delete
  2. Babe! (love Nic xx)

    ReplyDelete

If anyone is out there I would love to hear any thoughts you have after reading this blog!